Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sanyu Babies Home


I would like to take the time on this first official Uganda post to draw a picture in your mind of what it is like here
at Sanyu where we are staying
and where Jethro is at.

The complex is about 2-3 acres in the city of Kampala.
We hear the many cars, vans, busses and boda boda’s  (motorcycle taxi) all day and night,
as well as the ample amount of smog put off by them.
The orphanage is fenced off and there is a gate
with a guard with a bow and arrow
checking people in and out.

There are 50 kids here from infants to 3 years old and they are split up into a few different groups.
Jethro is in the oldest group of them at 18 months old.
The infants are separate room from the toddlers.
The 30 toddlers eat together in one dining room in a bunch of high chairs with no legs. 
Jethro is by farrrrrr the most messy eater
he gets that from his Mom.
After breakfast and a bath they all go to class till lunch.
They get to play inside with toys, learn songs, and also learn there manners.
At noon there is another major feeding
then it is nap time
for everyone including us this is a much needed time off.
After nap they get to go outside and have free play time before we eat dinner. 
This is when the chaos starts,
after diner
all of them sit on their potties then get bathed
and then clothes put on them and then we try to wrangle them up and get them to bed.
To put this into perspective you have one cute wet kid come running from the bath area about every 90 seconds.
There are generally 3 people clothing and putting dippers on these kids. I have hands down put on more dippers in the past 2 days than    I have in my whole life.

My special moment today was when Jethro was in class
and a naughty boy named Norman hit Jet 
on the head with a big Lego block.
Jethro looked around the room and ran past his 2 teacher
right over to me to my lap.
He laid there crying for a minute
and made me fill like a Dad for a lifetime. 

Remember that is how our heavenly Father fill when we come running into his arm......

6 comments:

  1. Totally awesome post....made me cry...so happy that jethro has u with him now and makes me looonnnggg to hold our girls.....love u guys and miss u guys sssoooooo much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait till you come home from a tuff day at work and then Jet greets you at the door, you forget about all the pitty work stuff and just have fun w/your kido.
    Love you guys,
    the Bradley's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good description, its a happy, sad, stressful, loving, desperate place. I am so glad you are finally a daddy! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn and Sarah, Ron and I are so proud of you both. I have enjoyed reading your blogs and understand how rewarding this journey is. I just got back from my mission trip to Haiti Wednesday night and it was absolutely amazing. I can't even begin to imagine how wonderful this trip is for you. You will be amazing parents to Jethro. Sending our love and prayers. Uncle Ronnie and Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! We are so happy for you! I have been successful already with the carseats for you! God has had his hand all over this mission in so many ways! I had.fellow mom/ friend donate a baby swing and a few more items to sell and bless you two with the prophet! Praise God! Are there any items that you need out there that we can send you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this...I am crying tears...He knew you were his daddy..so sweet.

    ReplyDelete