Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Welcoming Marvin

 If I would ask myself what would be some of the most memorable  about my trip to Uganda. Off the top of my head some would be. 




The beautiful sunsets.



The amazing things you can fit on a Boda Like a couch and two chairs.




Having a birthday party on the floor with bread and pineapple.







Also the traffic and the way traffic has no rules.






Now the most memorable would be the people and the connections I have made with them. The best way to explain life here in Uganda would be through the people.

They are what makes Uganda, Uganda. So I will try and Introduce a new person to you every week. They may be a street kid, Bodo Driver, Uncle for the boys, or just who ever might touch my heart that week. I will call this Welcome Wednesday's.


Marvin is a boy from the street program in Kivvulu. He is 12 years old and a very bright boy. I am still learning why he is living on the streets but I do know that his parents are not in the picture anymore. I met Marvin with Phil (a friend of mine I met here) on my first day back to the feeding program in a year. I was a bit lost wondering around the slum when a boy with a big smile stepped out from around the corner. I asked him if he could take us to the feeding program. He smiled and and continued through the maze of buildings with us following. I was hoping he understood me but my manstincts knew we where heading in the right direction.

Every day I go to Kivvulu Marvin always has a big hug for me and asks where is your son, I want to see him. I always smile and tell him how many days till today was 25 days. Marvin does not fight with the other boys nor do I believe he does drugs. He lives with 5 boys his age in a small shack. He picks scrap (gathers recycling) for money. The other day he was playing around and a bottle hit me in the back and he said it was one of the other boys. Later he told me that it was actually him. I told him that I was disappointed that he lied to me. He was very sad and apologized to me. We sat and had a talk about it and by the end we where both in tears. He is such an important part of my life here. I love little Marvin so much.

Marvin welcome to my life.

1 comment:

  1. i'm in tears. thank you for painting a picture of what you are experiencing. praying for marvin and your impact on him. carie

    ReplyDelete