Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Unexpected visitor

Last night was going as usual. We had sat down to watch a movie and the electricity went out. Fortunately we had dinner already. Side note: I think that dinner by candle light is romantic because you don't do it every night. 
So Gina left to go and get something from the store and Sarah and I where visiting and heard Gina coming back up the stairs. She was talking to some one and said guess who I found. We went to meet her at the door and there was Yahaya. A 10 year old street boy. If you can imagine your son, a nephew or the kid down the street. Place him in clothes that are ripped, covered in filth, and smell like they have not been washed for weeks. His head was dropped with shame and he mumbled broken English. Yahaya is a picker, he collects scrap from the trash piles around the city to sell to recycling. This boy had no home. He had no family. He had very few friends. 
He showed up due to a 2 inch abscess on the outside of his jaw. He had teeth pulled in the slum and he did not finish his antibiotics. This created a horrible infection. He was sick, tired, hungry, needed a bath and most importantly needed some love. 
He took a bath and we made him a cup of tea. I pulled out some paper and some crayons for him and I. We drew and colored for about 45 minutes while waiting for Uncle Eddie to come and pick him up. After coloring he started counting the crayons. Remember this is a boy that has not spent a day of his life in school but he was very smart. He was counting to 20 in English. I asked him to count them for me again. This was making me tear up. I was so proud of this boy that I have only know for an hour. I said "great job give me a five" as I raised my hand, little Yahaya cowed down and covered his head in fear of me hitting him. My stomach dropped and I full on teared up. I moved in slowly and gave him a huge hug and let him know he was in a safe place. 
You could tell that this boy had been beaten, abused and never treated the way any little boy should be treated. He just wanted a cup of tea and a some one to care for him. I want you to remember that boy you put in your memory and take the time today to let him know how much you love and care for them. Out there in the world there are 163 million kids that don't have a parent to let them know that they are loved.
Don't let your child fill like Yahaya Today.   


1 comment:

  1. Oh Shawn, it makes me tear up just thinking about this young boy. We see so many of the same things in Haiti when we are fitting the children with shoes. Some of the shoes are rotten and have no insides and are worn through. These little ones have sores on their legs and arms and some of the most terrible living conditions, but you put clean socks on their feet and put those new shoes on them and the smiles and the hugs just melt my heart. I pray that Yahya will find the love and kindness that he so much deserves. Praying for you all everyday. Love to you, Sarah and Jethro. Melissa

    ReplyDelete